If you're a BASC member band, you can be listed here. Send or update your band's information. Updated on July 10, 2011.
- The Angel City Bluegrass Boys
The Angel City Bluegrass Boys are a young group of Angelenos steeped in the stylings of traditional bluegrass. Combining tight harmonies with a solid instrumental base, The Angel City Bluegrass Boys are as compelling as they are lonesome. Originally from the San Francisco Bay Area, Greg Fleischut (mandolin, vocals) and David Elsenbroich (guitar, vocals) joined forces with Southern California natives Zac Sokolow (banjo, vocals) and Jake Faulkner (bass) in 2015, later adding Danny Clark (fiddle, vocals), a recent California re-transplant from Tennessee to the group. Zac and Greg have been steeped in the California bluegrass scene since they were old enough to hold their instruments. Zac, the son of legendary educator and multi-instrumentalist Fred Sokolow, started playing bluegrass festivals with his dad and consistently winning banjo competitions when he was only 9 years old. Similarly, Greg made a name for himself as one of the best young flatpicking guitarists in the Bay Area, learning bluegrass when he was just 7 years old. Greg went on to study music in Los Angeles which is also where he picked up the mandolin with the Bluegrass Boys. Danny spent his formative years supporting his family’s Bluegrass Bus Museum project, along with many other institutions, in the bluegrass state of Tennessee. In addition to his virtuosic fiddle playing, Danny is an encyclopedia of bluegrass history with a winning smile!
Original & traditional bluegrass & gospel. Members: George Doering, Jo Ellen Doering & Patrick Sauber. Please visit the band at their Web Site www.thebrombies.com.
Contact: Jo Ellen Doering, (323) 874-0213.
- Murphy Family Band
- The Murphy Family Band plays an exciting mix of traditional and original bluegrass music. Their repertoire includes many of the bluegrass classics by artists such as Bill Monroe, Flatt and Scruggs and The Stanley Brothers in addition to their own compositions. They placed first in the band contest at the Topanga Banjo and Fiddle contest in 2010 and have performed at coffee houses, pizza parlors and many other venues around Southern California. The Murphy Family Band consists of Sara Murphy on the fiddle, Kyle Murphy on the mandolin and fiddle, Jim Murphy on the guitar, Doug Davis on the bass, Paula Lane on the dobro, and Bill Knopf on the banjo.
- Murphy's Flaw
- Murphy's Flaw is a group of above-average (musically), below-average (taste) musicians who got together under terms of their parole. They play together to serve out their community service sentence, imposed because of crimes against bluegrass.
Band: Peter Blackwelder, John Bryan, Paul Dorn, Dee Farnsworth, Mike Gurzi, Uli Sinn, Matt Witler, Vicki Hill
- Salty Suites
- Salty Suites..... Scott Gates, Chuck Hailes and Chelsea Williams, They live in the world of live acoustic music, sharing a passion for roots and bluegrass, as well as traditional mountain music.Scott Gates is as close to a musical prodigy on the mandolin as you will ever meet and now plays guitar with the same fire and brilliance. Scott has been a mainstay at festivals for many years and holds a special place in his heart for people he sees year after year. Having performed all over the country and with artists as varied as John McEuen, Nathan McEuen, Steve Martin, the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Kenny Loggins and a virtual Who's-Who of bluegrass players, Scott has started writing music of his own and will be bringing many of these tunes to you this year. Scott appeared last year on the Ellen Show with Steve Martin, recorded with Kenny Loggins on his soon-to-be-released family album, which was picked up by Disney, appeared in an episode of the 2011 season of "Justified" on the FX Channel and toured the US with band mate Nathan McEuen. Partner in this new venture, Chuck Hailes, is one of the top bass players in the country, schooled in classical and jazz bass playing and techniques. Chuck writes his own music and has teamed with Scott to create many new musical gems. With his background in bluegrass music, and degree in the Upright Bass, Chuck sings and plays in a way that is uniquely his own. Chelsea Williams has been writing and performing her own music since she was 13 years old. After a couple of years in two different working bands, Chelsea took the stage on her own by the age of 17, performing at clubs and coffee shops. While some of her early songs are still hits with her fans, she has continued to develop as a writer penning nearly 100 original songs to date. Chelsea currently makes her living by playing on the street for tips and selling a home-made demo, having sold thousands of CDs in recent months, one-by-one, simply on her own on the street. Her magnetic presence draws them in and her songs set the hook.
- Mike Stein and Jerusalem Stone
- Cantor Mike Stein is a world renowned performer, composer and recording artist. A Grammy Award winner (cELLAbration) and nominee (Dreamosaurus), his songs have been recorded by the late Patsy Monatana and have been in movies such as "The Little Traitor." He has recorded fiddle for artists such as Mary Chapin Carpenter and Tom Paxton. His songs have been published by Warner Chappell (We Are With You) and have played on thousands of radio stations world wide. Today he is the cantor at Temple Aliyah in Woodland Hills, California. He is the father of three sons who are accomplished musicians on their own. Together with his wife, Kelley, they perform nationally with their group, the Rolling Steins.